Thursday, October 3, 2013

star of anise (day 2, day 3)

Day 2 I got on the road at 9:55am and drove the half an hour to M's house. Her mom served us fruit, nuts, yogurt, and tea. Delicious. Then we headed to Annapolis - the historic part, which reminded me a little of a more well kept West Chester, PA. Did a lot of walking, church-seeing, and finished it up with crab cake wraps and a little consignment shopping. I made it back home before rush hour traffic started and promptly fell asleep for two hours. The high was 87 - felt like summer! Thank you, October.
Annapolis: where George Washington gave his resignation speech.
Day 3 - aka today - I woke at 6:15, realized it was day 3, and went back to sleep. Didn't even get out of bed until 11. Without a schedule, I regress to college kid sleeping hours. I got out of the house for some unsuccessful grocery shopping (I left the list on the table and walked right out the door). I remembered 11 out of 18 things...  And where the heck do you buy star of anise?  I want to make Chinese tea eggs.

star of anise

During our skype conversation last weekend, M told me and AK how she makes tea eggs. I've watched people eat them in TW and K dramas for years, and all this time it never occurred to me that I could make them myself. And I currently have the time to experiment in the kitchen...

I'm contemplating heading up to PA if tomorrow turns out to be Day 4. Yeah, I'm heading up in a week anyway, but if I don't go somewhere, I'll go stir crazy. I need to dedicate myself to writing something today instead of laying around trying not to obsess over the news. That or try to make friends with my new neighbors who seem young - I think there's a girl.

No comments:

Post a Comment