Sunday, December 16, 2012

today's dusk is an odd blue light

When I went to San Francisco, I forgot my contacts. It's a relief to put them in and see my face again. Don't know what it says about me that I feels like glasses block my face more than makeup ever could. Now when I look in the mirror, there I am. I'm relieved. Contacts are a miracle.

Went to my grandmother's church this morning. I don't usually, but she wanted the family to light the advent candles. We are the slackers who show up a half hour late. It bothered me when I was younger, but now I'm more c'est la vie. And now church is calming. It's a relief to think about something other than myself.

Revelation: There's a reason church choirs repeat the same line over and over during a song. The first few times, I concentrate on knowing the words. Then, I get comfortable. The next few times, I'm so bored that I begin to evaluate whether I mean the phrase I'm singing. The (hopefully) last few times I either mean it, or descend into a half-conscious haze. Without the monotony of repetition, I'd never think about the lyrics.

Ran in the park. The woods are beautiful in the winter with no leaves. It was an overcast day when the light at 11am is the same as the light at 2pm and at 4pm. And dusk is an odd blue light that lasts mere minutes.
Looks like magic.

No comments:

Post a Comment