Monday, January 27, 2014

42 - the answer to the question of life, the universe, and everything

Having my own address means getting a bunch of mail. I used to love that Blues Clues "Mail Time" song. I still really love getting mail, but I've become selective, as in, I love getting letters/cards/notes from people I actually know. Today after work I threw on my anorak coat and ventured to the mailbox before I got to used to the warmth of inside, and there was a whole bunch of mail in my box.
this is basically the coat
Since I moved here, I've lived in a state of perpetual guilt towards the mailman because I don't check the mail every day. Heck, I don't even check it every other day.  Anyway, instead of the usual junk mail (insurance stuff, grocery store sales, etc.), I got some goodies:

  • EG's book
  • new baby card from E and P (naked baby pics are still happening)

And then I got some goodies that were only "good" in a practical way... like tax forms and rental insurance agreements. Why do they print it all out on separate pages? Such a waste of trees. We could at least do double sided. And the paper feels so nice - there's no way it's recycled.

Mail time was good time today. Also, how is is that 36 degrees this morning felt positively balmy? The ability of humans to adapt continues to shock me. A little over a month ago I was in 80 degree Hawaii and feeling cold at night, when let's face it, the low was 72. And now here I am feeling that a scarf was overdressing for 36. At least my body is prepared for tomorrow's high of 18. If this is what global warming brings in the winter, then I am sorry I ever was the tiniest bit glad that it was warming because I thought that meant I would be warmer. Yes - I'm ashamed okay? That was before I got a master's in geography and wrote a thesis in the environmental planning field. But oh even during the time I was earning my degree I still reveled in warm weather. I have problems, okay? Leave me alone in my shame.

Am flipping back and forth on online dating. Mostly because I don't know if I even want to. I know I want to hang out with friends. The times I wish there was a man around are when I have to shovel snow or fix a car. That's not a good reason to start dating.  Ever since I was little, I've heard people talking about how you get too old to live with anyone b/c you can't adjust and compromise. I now see how that could happen, because I don't have to compromise with anyone right now and I'm loath to change that. Also, I talked with my sisters and I don't have to get married until I'm 42 now, so the pressure's off. And as always, breaking up is hard to do.

No comments:

Post a Comment