Tuesday, September 11, 2012

Car trouble

I was all set to run in the park today. I got in the car, turned the key in the ignition, and nothing happened. The radio worked for less than a second, then everything shutdown. Yes, the car was in park. No, I didn't leave my lights on. I wasn't surprised, only bemused. My car is not reliable transportation. It's been 2 months since it was last out of commission, so it was due to throw a hissy fit anyway.

In the past, I've been that person stranded on the side of the highway (45 minutes and not one cop came along to help, and yet if I should decide to speed...). In the future, I will probably be that person stranded on the side of the highway. I long ago accepted the fact that when I get a job, one of the first things I'll have to do will be to buy a reliable car.

Instead of the planned easy day workout in the park, I played soccer with the dog for a half hour. This means I kick the ball, she runs and bites it but doesn't bring it to me, then I run to her. We repeat. I've been doing so much long distance running that I suck at sprinting. God forbid I have to run away from a crazed chainsaw-bearing park ranger for whom an unfortunate piece of litter was the last straw, because if he can sprint, I'll get caught. But if there's enough distance, I do have more stamina than a guy lugging around a chainsaw. Just like this girl:
After soccer, I biked in up and down a hill in a loop 7 times. Circuit training? My knees still hurt. Going to go into hardcore knee-preservation mode so I can run the 5K in a couple weeks.

I fell in love with chocolate ice cream again. I thought we were over years ago; I thought we agreed I'd try other flavors and he'd see other people. But after dancing around each other for the past couple weeks, here we are again, going steady. I don't think we'll ever see the last of each other. Oh it's not an unhealthy relationship, we don't see each other everyday, but we haven't been close like this for years. Breaking up is hard to do.

No comments:

Post a Comment