Tuesday, September 9, 2014

i don't feel permanent

I watched the first episode of "It's Okay, That's Love," a Kdrama that's actually been on for a few weeks. I think next week is it's last week if it's a 16 episode show. The reviews that I've read on dramabeans were a little mixed, so I didn't start it before, but I think the consensus is that it's worth my time, so it's now on my Watching list. The only other thing on that list is Joseon Gunman, which has become a little less exciting as the episodes go on, but I'll still finish while doing my hair or something.

Had one of those long meetings today, which make the work day go by super fast. And then I got a bonus check for winning those awards last month! So yay, when that comes in the next pay period I won't have to worry about maybe moving funds from savings to pay the bills. I'm trying to make my attitude about money be more holistic, as in I think lifetime rather than month-to-month. That may mean that I have to move somewhere else when my lease is up because this place is a great central location, but the rent keeps creeping up, and I now live in a non-rent-controlled state. Does this mean I need to save money in the 401(k) to use to buy a house? I don't feel that permanent yet though, what with the PhD thing not laid to rest. Should I just do it?

Stroke Update - Last weekend I went home so I could see Nana. I'm talking I woke up at work time on Saturday, so I was heading up 95 by 7:22am. I was north of Baltimore by 8am, the time when I'm normally just getting to work. Traffic is crazy, peeps. So I got home and Mom and my middle sister were just getting up. Heck, even Darcy was just uncurling from her rug. Turns out she rejected the pillows I gave her, but is all for bathroom rugs. Anyway, Aunt Shauna came over and then Mom drove to visit Nana. Pop went over to 913 to help Poppi put in a mailbox. When we got to Nana's room she was sitting up in the wheelchair like normal. It shocked everyone I think. For a moment I thought she was cured. But as we were there she started to lose her energy. And by the time Michelle tried to help her choose her meals for the next day, Nana was confused again and hear head progressively lowered. We got to watch as she ate lunch though - she had solid foods, but not too solid as she's still having swallowing problems. Mom says that her insurance is going to run out, so they have to send her home. Mom had a meeting with the doctor on Monday, but I don't know how it went since when I called no one was home. I guess I can ask my middle sister.

My brother hopped a train to FL and my parents keep telling me (in a very laidback way) to make sure he's still alive. I think they're worried, but they're not going to say they're worried. And I get it. I mean, the only money he has is the security deposit from moving out of his apartment. He only got to FL because my dad bought him and his car a train ticket. Mom says I was born with my hands in fists and he was born with his hands wide open. If that means anything, I save money and he spends it. Example, yes I got that bonus check, but I have no plans to buy anything. I don't have anything I want to buy, except I know I'm going to have to buy a new laptop in the next year or so and a new cell phone when the one I have craps out. My brother buys people things and gives people the expensive things he bought but doesn't want to use any more because he wants to use some other thing. I think I could use a little more generosity and he could use a little more selfishness. My middle sister spends and saves, so she's perfect. My youngest sister is just like my brother. Looks both of them are going to need someone to reign them in from spending when they start earning a lot of money. Budget.

My apt is putting new siding on my building and it looks awful because first they rip off all the old siding. They started on the edge of my building and haven't made it to my actual apartment yet, but I'm not going to like it when they do. I foresee a lot of awkward conversations with random men in hardhats in my future. I hope they're attractive men in hard hats.


No comments:

Post a Comment