Friday, November 15, 2013

haiku

It's gotta be you 
all the way
all that i ever wanted
i promise you i will be true
it's only you
I watched T.O.P's new music video and came away with an old BSB lyric in my head. Been that kind of night. Thanks, Two Weeks.

Studied up on haikus b/c my aunt posted one on the book of faces and asked me if it was any good. So I learned new words in wikipedia:

metonym(n)-a figure of speech in which a thing or concept is called not by its own name, but rather by the name of something associated in meaning w/ that thing or concept; for example, Wall Street implies corporate America, the pen implies the written word, Hollywood implies the film industry

caesura(n)-a complete pause in a line or poetry or in a musical composition <---I actually used to know this one, but it's been 4 years since I took Advanced Poetry in school, so I forgot

kigo(n)-a defined word or phrase that symbolizes or implies the season of the poem, often in the form of a metonym; for example, cherry blossom implies spring, pumpkin implies autumn <---apparently Japanese haiku writers referenced books of kigo phrases, and here I thought they came up with them on their own

kireji(n)-cutting word typically found at the end of a line or verse. It may cut the stream of thought, suggesting a parallel between the preceding and following phrases, OR provide a dignified ending, concluding the verse with a heightened sense of closure; for example, -, ...

After all that, of course I had to take a crack at haikus, which I have never written successfully. I think I concentrate on the 5-7-5 too much and forget to put any substance into the poem at all.

The sharp scent of grass
expands lungs drowning inside.
I need to get out.

Aka, I drove home with the window open just so I could breathe in the fresh air. Inside air is so stifling, and my knee acted up this week, so I didn't run, therefore didn't get outside.

My director was funny - he popped into the office to announce an alpaca festival at the county fair this weekend and said he loves alpacas and can't wait to pet them. He's usually so serious and concerned that I have no clue what he likes. No doubt he's hilarious when he gets home to his family.

No comments:

Post a Comment